Say “See Ya Later” To Oily Skin: Top 5 Tips for Oily Skin
Are you struggling with oily skin… even year-round? I used to think that if I washed my face using the best face wash for oily skin, and essentially “dried” my skin out, that I wouldn’t have oily skin. I was very wrong. Did you know that with oily skin, it is extremely important to keep your skin well moisturized? If you’re as confused as I was when I heard this, keep reading… I have more fun oily skin facts for you!
First, let’s talk about why your skin might be struggling with the overproduction of oil. Oily skin is the result of the overproduction of sebum from sebaceous glands. These glands are located under the skin’s surface. Sebum is an oily substance made of fats. Sebum isn’t all bad since it helps protect and moisturize your skin and keep your hair shiny and healthy. Too much sebum, however, may lead to oily skin, which can lead to clogged pores and acne. Genetics, hormone changes, or even stress may increase sebum production.
Oily skin frequently affects the face. Symptoms of oily skin include:
- a shiny or greasy appearance
- very large or obvious pores on the skin
- skin that looks thick or rough
- occasional or persistent pimples
- clogged pores and blackheads
A good skincare routine is a crucial factor when it comes to having great skin. From making adjustments to your skincare regimen, to the best products for oily skin, keep reading for 5 important steps for tackling oily skin.
- First, a key problem of having oily skin is imbalanced moisture. It means your skin can’t properly detect the right amount of moisture your skin is requiring, hence producing more sebum. Oily skin still needs moisture! Especially in the winter season. A common misconception about having oily skin is that it doesn’t need any moisturizers. The myth about moisturizers only aggravating oily skin is completely false. A great moisturizer for oily skin is MintPear’s Vitamin Rich Daily Moisturizer. It is extremely hydrating without leaving your skin feeling oily or shiny. It is a great morning and nighttime moisturizer as it is lightweight and can be easily worn under your daily makeup foundation.
- Use an oil-free cleanser. Cleansing is important when you have oily skin because this step fully removes dirt and excessive sebum from the skin. Facial cleansers come in many different formulations. Some are formulated to boost moisture, so if you have oily skin, this formulation may not work very well for you. Choose oil-free cleansers that help control excessive sebum production to keep your skin looking clean, fresh and grease-free. MintPear’s Clarifying Facial Cleanser is effective for all skin types. This cleanser for oily skin is best because it is packed with extracts, vitamins, and oils that will moisturize so as not to destroy your lipid barrier.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen! I know that sunscreen can often leave your skin feeling greasy and never seems to soak in. The solution to this problem, especially for oily skin is to choose a gel or water-based sunscreen. These types of formulations get easily absorbed into the skin without leaving a nasty, greasy film on the surface. Oily skin is no exception when it comes to superior sun protection. To prevent skin damage caused by the sun’s harsh UV rays, always wear sunscreen before stepping out of your home.
- Exfoliate your skin regularly. Exfoliation is important for all skin types, but especially for over oily skin. Exfoliation is a process of scrubbing and removing dead skin cells on your face or body. These dead skin cells, when not properly taken care of, can cause disruption in the pores, resulting in excessive sebum production. To properly exfoliate your skin, consider using gentle peeling gels or scrubs to make sure that you are getting rid of dead skin cells without hurting your skin. MintPear’s Pumpkin Enzyme Exfoliating Masque is a great solution to add to your skincare routine. It is loaded with fruit enzymes and alpha hydroxyl acids (AHAs) and 5% Glycolic Acid, promoting and increasing cell turnover, resulting in brighter and smoother skin!
- And last but not least, pick a great foundation. The wrong choice of makeup foundation may lead to creasing and caking. Oily skin requires foundations that are lightweight because there are some face foundations that tend to produce more oil when exposed to the heat outdoors. When choosing a foundation, go for a lightweight oil-free blend. You can opt for foundations with a matte finish to keep your skin’s oiliness at bay.
Once you’ve come up with your oily skin action plan, you’ll need to give it some time to work. Sometimes it can take a month or two until you see any major improvements. Every person’s skin is different, and there is no “one size fits all” approach to skincare. Starting with these 5 steps is a great foundation for a great oily skin skincare routine.